01 April 2016

Review: Nishiki OSFM Diaper Cover


Description: The Nishiki diaper cover is made with a cotton exterior and PUL interior with flaps inside at the front and back to hold an insert in place. It features a belt-like section around the waist which fastens with velcro (this is used to adjust the waist size) and the front of the nappy attaches to the belt, again using velcro. The size of the leg openings can be adjusted using the adjustable elastics in the outer leg gussets with a button/toggle to secure it on the correct setting for your baby. The cover further has double leg gussets to prevent poop leakage. This is a OSFM cover, but sizing seems to be more like a size two as it's stated to fit from 9 to 14 kg.

First impressions: It's not often that I get to test something truly unique, so when I received this cover, I was quite excited to see how it would function. The belt-like fastening around the waist reminds me a little of BumChiki (this one just has velcro instead of snaps), however unlike BumChiki, the Nishiki is purely a cover and features double leg gussets and adjustable leg elastics. The belt-like waist is said to facilitate easier changes with a wriggly toddler, so I was definitely keen to put that to the test with my busy two year old. In terms of fabrics used, I like the look and feel of the pure cotton exterior and the cover seems neatly made. The adjustable leg elastics are also different to those I've used in the past (Fuzzibunz and Charlie Banana)  It is available in a limited range of pastel colours, I personally would've liked a wider range and some brighter colours, but that's purely personal opinion.  For some visuals of what the cover looks like inside and close-ups of the waist fastening and leg elastics, have a look on Funky Chameleon's site. [Rating: 4/5] 


Ease of use: It took me a little while to figure out how to adjust the leg elastics using the button, but once I figured it out, it was very easy to do. The lack of sizing guides on the elastics (eg other brands have marks to indicate size S, M, L) means that there is some guesswork involved in adjusting the elastics and in getting them even on both legs. I just eyeballed it and it worked fine for me, but I can see how it can be confusing/frustrating to some. To use the cover, simply lay an insert inside, securing it underneath the flaps. Then fasten the waist belt around baby and lastly bring the front up between the legs and attach to the waistband. You will then need to tuck any unused bits of leg elastics inside or it will simply dangle in front - I do wish there was a dedicated place to secure the elastics. While the flaps inside did a good job of holding an insert in place, for this specific style I think I would've preferred a snap-in insert to keep it just that little bit more secure when putting the nappy on a standing toddler. Having said that, we never had issues with the insert shifting/falling out while trying to put it on though. The velcro fastenings does make this very easy to put onto baby, something which I really appreciated with my wriggly toddler. When the insert is wet, simply remove and replace with another insert. Because the cover is not wipeable inside, I tend to change sooner rather than later, so that the insert isn't super wet when I remove it and I can more easily re-use the cover.  When the cover is soiled, simply place in your nappy bucket, ready for wash day. The covers clean and dry easily, though you do have to make sure to fasten the waist belt before adding it to the wash so the velcro doesn't catch on other items in the wash.  [Rating: 3.5/5]  


Fit: The adjustable leg elastics and velcro closure on the waist makes this cover very adjustable to ensure a good fit around baby's legs and waist. It is stated to fit from 9kg to 14kg and that seems fair judging from the fit on my 11.8kg toddler. I tried padfolded flats as well as AI2 inserts in the Nishiki cover and found that the AI2 inserts gave us the best fit, mostly due to the fact that a padfolded flat tended to sag in the crotch area when wet. This cover didn't leave elastic marks on J, but I suspect that the positioning of the button elastic around the leg might bother babies with chubbier thighs. The rise is quite low, which I personally prefer, but something to bear in mind if you prefer a higher rise. Trimness will obviously depend on the insert you choose to use inside the cover, but I found it to have quite a trim profile when using both an AI2 insert or padfolded flat.  The fit at the back is really lovely - trim with still good bum coverage -, but I found it bulged a little in front regardless of how I adjusted it. This could also just be because of J's particular build and might not be an issue with all babies. [Rating: 3.5/5] 

Value for money: Price-wise these are in the upper range when compared to covers, but it does have many unique features which you won't find on other covers eg the adjustable elastics and the waist-belt fastening feature which is great for wriggly toddlers, potty training or even elimination communication. [Rating: 3.5/5] 

Performance: No issues with performance, both pee and poop is contained. Obviously with poop, it tends to get on the cover which means you need to wash the cover after a poopy nappy. Also remember that the performance of a cover is always dependant on the absorbency of the nappy you use underneath. [Rating: 5/5] 

Overall impression: I like how adjustable the fit is of this cover, you can really fine tune it around the legs and waist using the velcro waist band and those adjustable leg elastics. Other plus points for me are the double leg gussets and the flaps inside to hold an insert in place. Things I would change are size indications on the leg elastics and snaps to secure an insert on the inside. The best part of this cover for me is that I can easily change my toddler's nappy while he's standing - it's much easier than trying to pin him down these days. The Nishiki cover would be great for elimination communication too as well as early stages potty training as you can simply remove the front when baby needs to go to the toilet and then velcro it back in place once done. 

Nishiki products are available locally from Funky Chameleon. Like their Facebook page to be the first to hear of new products and prints.

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I received this diaper free of charge for purposes of review. All opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and J, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. At the time that these photos were taken, J was 24 months old and weighed approximately 11.8kg

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.