23 March 2016

Review: Bumkins OS Diaper Cover


Description: The Bumkins diaper cover is made of PUL and designed to be used over flats, prefolds and fitteds. It features flaps on the inside (top and bottom) to hold an insert or padfolded flat in place and has a wipe-able interior. Inside there are flaps at the front and back to keep an insert, trifolded prefold or padfolded flat in place. The edges are finished with fold-over elastic and it has double leg gussets. The cover fastens around the waist using three sets of snaps on each wing, with a further two sets of cross-over snaps on the tabs to enable you to make the waist smaller. This is a one-size cover featuring three rows of rise snaps (arranged in four columns) to adjust the rise as baby grows.



First impressions: I'm a big lover of all things Seuss, so this print won me over from the start. This cover seems on the smaller side compared to other OSFM covers and the amount of snaps immediately caught my attention. The snap-down rise is a 3 x 4 instead of the more common 3 x 3 configuration. On the waist tabs there is a full six snaps per tab compared to the usual two or three. The PUL is very stretchy, though elastics seem on the stiffer side. In terms of workmanship, the cover seems neatly made with straight seams and even snap placement, as one would expect from a mass produced brand.  [Rating: 3.5/5] 


Ease of use: The flaps on the inside make these very user-friendly for those new to cloth as you can simply lay an insert inside and fasten the cover onto your baby. In this way the cover functions like an AI2, giving you the freedom to use any insert you choose or even padfolded flats or trifolded prefolds. When the insert is wet, simply remove and use another insert. You can also choose to use this cover over snappi'd prefolds or flats or even fitteds. In between uses I like to wipe the interior and air out the cover. When the cover is soiled, simply place in your nappy bucket, ready for wash day. I have had no hassles with washing these and because of the single layer of PUL they dry super fast. This makes them ideal for hand washing (eg when on holiday) too. [Rating: 4/5]  


Fit: While the PUL is super stretchy, I did find it a bit more tricky to get a good fit with these covers due to the small cut and the many waist snaps. I ended up not using all six snaps on each tab, I think it's overkill. I use either two (the two closest to the edge) or four (the sets furthest and closest to the edge), depending on how energetic I feel at a particular diaper change and that keeps the cover in place perfectly well on my active toddler. I do feel that this cover is better suited to younger babies and certainly to leaner ones. At two years old and weighing almost 12kg, J still has some room to grow in these though. I found that the leg elastics were more prone to leaving marks vs some of my other covers, so if your baby has chubby thighs these are probably not the best option. I also suspect the two outside columns of rise snaps may bother a baby with chunkier thighs. The Bumkins cover sits quite low on the waist. I personally prefer a lower rise fit on diapers, but not everyone feels the same, so that is something to bear in mind. Because of the small cut, this diaper fits best over trim flats (snappi'd or padfolded). The interior flaps work well to keep inserts in place, they don't shift at all. [Rating: 3/5] 

Value for money: These covers are in the mid-range price wise and is worth it in terms of quality. I suspect these might not fit all babies until potty training age though, so if bigger kids run in your family, that is something you might want to consider. [Rating: 3.5/5] 



Performance: Performance wise this cover works very well for us - no pee or poop has managed to escape it. As with all covers, performance will be affected by the absorbency of the diaper you use underneath though. This cover has been in use for roughly three months and shows no sign of wear and tear. [Rating: 5/5] 

Overall impression: Overall the quality of this cover is good and I adore the Dr Seuss prints in this range. I think they can easily reduce the number of snaps on the rise and waist tabs without affecting fit or function, the number of snaps could be confusing to a newbie. If you are looking for a snug fitting diaper cover to fit your smaller baby or lean toddler and specifically enjoy using trim flats and inserts, this cover would be a good match for you. I would not recommend it for chubbier babies/toddlers and over fitteds though. 

Bumkins products are available locally from Mulberry Moon. Like the Bumkins Facebook page to be the first to hear of new products and prints.



Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I paid regular retail price for this diaper and did not receive any compensation for my review. All opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and J, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. At the time that these photos were taken, J was 24 months old and weighed approximately 11.8kg

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.