20 August 2015

Review: Tyrilove Butterfly Hybrid Fitted


Description: The Tyrilove Butterfly Hybrid Fitted consists of a printed outer layer of cotton jersey*, a layer of hidden fleece and an interior hemp fleece lining. This fitted is in the butterfly style which means that it has wings on each side attached at the leg elastics. These wings fold in for extra absorbent layers in the wetzone. The diaper has a short section of elastic at the front waist too. The wings consist of the same cotton jersey as on the rest of the diaper with a hemp lining. This is a side-snapping diaper with five sets of snaps on each tab and a four row snap-down rise in front which enables you to control the rise, waist and hip size. 

* This may change depending on fabric availability.


First impressions:  I love the squishy feel of this diaper and the construction seems very neat (as with all Tyrilove items!). There is a lot of attention to detail in this nappy, from coordinating colours (the black snaps and black hemp inside my diaper matches the print outside) to precise snap placement. It seems like a fairly trim diaper as far as fitteds go.  [Rating: 4/5] 



Ease of use: I like that there are no seperate inserts to lay in or snap-in or insert anywhere. Simply fold in both 'wings', snap down the rise and put the diaper on your baby. At this stage with J being 18 months old and not too keen on lying still for diaper changes, I really appreciate side-snapping diapers such as this one - it means I can still fasten it easily even when he tries to roll away. The stretchy fabric also makes it easier to get the diaper on. For those new to cloth who may be more familiar with front snapping diapers the side-snapping closure is a bit of a learning curve, so that's something to keep in mind. I have noticed that my husband and daycare prefer the front-snapping diapers in terms of ease of use. These are similar to other hybrid fitteds in that they're a two part system requiring a seperate cover to be truly waterproof. You can use it coverless during the day though and skip that extra step.  When you take the diaper off, you can simply pop it directly into the diaper pail - no inserts to unstuff or unsnap and no laundry tabs to worry about. Like most fitteds, this diaper takes a fair amount of time to dry. [Rating: 3.5/5] 


Fit: I love the fit of this diaper on J! Between the stretchy fabric, side-snapping tabs, elastic at the front and excellent placement/length of leg elastics, we get a really good fit on him. I love that the crotch is not super wide, however it's not too trim to interfere with adding additional absorbency either. The design of the butterfly fitted means that the leg elastics are really gentle, similar to the rolled elastics in some AIOs (eg Blueberry simplex, Bottombumpers). At 18 months old and 10.7kg J is on the small/middle rise setting and with two sets of snaps showing on one side at the waist/hips and one set on the other side, so this will definitely fit until potty training for us. I feel that the fabric and cut of this diaper will also make for a great fit on a smaller baby. This diaper is trimmer than other hybrid fitteds that I've tried and certainly trimmer than the front snapping Tyrilove fitted that I also tried. Here is a nice comparison pic on Tyrilove's Facebook page which shows the difference in cut between the two diapers. [Rating: 5/5] 

Value for money: Tyrilove's pricing is very reasonable and excellent value for money in terms of the quality of the diaper and fabrics used. The pricing is on the lower end of the scale when compared to other WAHM fitteds.  [Rating: 4.5/5] 


Performance: As is, this diaper works well for us during the day (bearing in mind that J is a fairly light wetter in the day) and the exterior is still dry when I change him after 2 - 3 hours. It also works well for us at night (J goes approximately 10 hours in it and feeds throughout the night), though my non-scientific absorbency tests indicate that it holds roughly 80ml less than the Tyrilove Regular Hybrid Fitted with snake-style insert. J is a medium wetter at night, so for a heavier wetter I would suggest adding additional boosting for nighttime. It's also worth mentioning that the cotton knit fabric outer does tend to get pilly and fade a bit with use, but this doesn't affect function and is the nature of the fabric. [Rating: 4/5] 

Overall impression: I love the look and fit of this diaper and while it's not the most absorbent fitted I've tried, the absorbency is perfect for us at this stage. Between the Butterfly Hybrid Fitted and the Hybrid with Snake Style Insert, I prefer the Butterfly fitted on J. If you have a chunkier baby/toddler or a heavier wetter you might prefer the Regular Hybrid version with the super absorbent long snake insert. But if don't have a super soaker and your baby/toddler is on the smaller/leaner to average build size, then I would go with the Butterfly Hybrid Fitted. 

You can buy Tyrilove hybrid fitteds from their Cloudly store. Like them on Facebook too so you can be notified of new products, prints and offers.



Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission. I received a discount on this diaper for purposes of this review, however I was not compensated in any other way and all opinions expressed above are my own.  While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and J, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. J was 17 months old and 10.7kg when these photos were taken.

1 comment:

  1. Stunning looking nappy!! Cant wait for mine to arrive!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.